This building holds a significant historical importance. It was the home of the acclaimed Irish poet, Patrick Kavanagh who resided in the upper floors of the building from 1943 to 1958 In his upper floor study, he wrote the famous poems, ‘Raglan Road’ – amongst others – which is the road opposite the building and which has been made more famous by the song of the same name, made famous by the band, ‘The Dubliners’.
When the current client inherited the building in the 1980′s, it had never been carefully restored, so it was carte-blanche for MQA to do so, whilst making it a home for their office and private residence. Starting with the external work, the restoration works included restoring the window surrounds, cleaning the roof, granite copings & cills, water-proofing and repointing the granite steps, generally cleaning the brick facade and refurbishing the railings. Internally, the floors were insulated, relaid, sanded and stained and the whole of the ground floor plaster ceilings, walls and joinery-work were restored.
This is an on-going project, with the further restoration of the upper floors to be carried out in the near future.